Saturday, August 4, 2012

Paper Pals Project

“Home is where the heart is.” ~ Gaius Plinius Secundas (known as Pliney the Elder, who was killed during the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius)

home canvas at paper pals

Today I took a class at my local scrapbook store, Paper Pals*. I made my very first mixed media canvas. It was so nice to be creative again! I’ve been waiting to really make anything until my craft space was all set up and organized, and it’s been driving me crazy!! Plus I’ve wanted to try a canvas project for ages.

For some artists, they work for the end, the final product. For me, it’s all about the process. Even though it was my first one, I’ve already learned several things about my personal preferences; there are some things I really liked, and a few I probably won’t do again. Overall it was a fun experience, and I recommend their classes to everyone! We went through it step by step, which is what I’ve needed, and the teacher shared tips and advice along the way.

This was a great first project, not only because it was relatively simple as far as design elements, but also because of what it represents:  home. This is a concept I’ve been thinking about a lot lately. What is home? This quote seems to say it all so simply:  it’s wherever you find the things you love the most. For me, that’s with friends and family, or any place where I can have the freedom to express myself in creative endeavors. (Which means I found a new home this week at Paper Pals!)

Here’s a fun rabbit trail:  the shirt I wore today! Of course, it wasn’t on purpose, I actually didn’t realize what it said until I was in my car.

395979_10151000843402424_1228891558_n


*Check out Paper Pals on Facebook! Like them to get more photos and updates, and help them reach their goal of 1,000 likes by the end of August!

No comments:

Post a Comment